This week in our EPHE class we talked about nutrition, healthy living and the importance of food choice in our lives and children’s lives. As I read over some of the resources given to us I was overwhelmed with the drastic changes that have taken over our society’s eating habits and how they are so perfectly executed by the huge companies that run the food industry.
On the ted talk I watched a man named Jamie Oliver talk about how dangerous eating habits are formed in a triangle containing home, school, and main street. Home pertains to the idea that because our world is such a fast paced working place family and community dinners often do not happen anymore. Because parents are constantly working, it is more and more likely for children to be eating frozen meals/take out/ or choosing for themselves what they want to it. Main street are the huge corporations that have gotten people hooked on fast bursts of sugar, fat, and salt. Labelling also is an incredibly fickle game because you can say something is low in fat, ignoring the fact that it is packed with sugar. Finally school lunches, pizza days etc are sometimes students only means of food. Many schools have enacted healthy lunches/snack days but it is still prevalent in schools( particularly the US.
When it came down to it, education once again was the huge revolution of change. Kids are often just never taught the proper way to eat and how what they eat may affect them for the rest of their lives. Making sure that kids are taught from a young age is the ultimate goal, kids will not eat what they do not know so introducing them to healthy foods is a big first step. The reason I wanted to write about this next week is because it is something I am really passionate about and I hope that in my own classroom I can really get the conversation going about healthy eating. Inspired by the Canadian food guide I decided to make sure that my meals this week contained something of every food group.
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 tsp Avocado oil (or any oil of choice)
- 2 tbsp Taco seasoning (store-bought or home-made)
- 8 oz Romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1 1/3 cup Grape tomatoes (halved)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 medium Avocado (cubed)
- 1/2 cup Scallions (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Tomato salsa
- 1/3 cup Sour cream
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add ground beef. Stir fry, breaking up the pieces with a spatula, for about 7-10 minutes, until the beef is browned and moisture has evaporated.
- Stir taco seasoning into the ground beef until well combined.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the ground beef. Toss everything together.